Friday, June 19, 2009

Woman FINED 1.9 million dollars for 24 songs

http://www.cnn.com/2009/CRIME/06/18/minnesota.music.download.fine/index.html
I understand where the Recording industry is coming from when they say downloading illegal songs is like stealing. But if it is like stealing it should be treated as such. I am pretty sure if you walked out of Payless with 24$ worth of footwear, your fine would not be 1.9 million dollars. I believe the RIAA is once again trying to make an example of someone. So lets see what the actual maximum punishment in my state is for stealing under $50. Less than $50 is considered a Class C Misdemeanor here, with maximum fine of $500 and no jail time. Wow I really don't understand how it could go from $500 to 1.9 million dollars. Did she murder the lead singer of Linkin Park while she was downloading the songs? I THINK NOT.
DO YOU THINK THIS KIND OF PUNISHMENT IS JUSTIFIED?

No comments:

Post a Comment