Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Brennn10 Wins Digital Open

I was going through instructables.com, one of my favorite places to peruse, and noticed this article.

Brennn10 Wins Digital Open

This guy won a competition for most innovative pocket sized contraption on instructables, then went on to win the Digital Open. This was for kids 17 and under. The first sentence I heard him say is "I took a class on the introduciton to electronics.." and I thought to myself..."education has failed us." I say this because where I grew up we had nothing like that to take in 9th grade let alone high school at all. Here in Texas we are operating under this no child left behind clause, which sound well and all, but has nothing to do with real world knowledge. What it means is that all kids should pass standardized tests or TEKS here in Texas.
But what is lacking in the boonie schools are electives. If you go to Highland Park, or something similar, you will no doubt have access to many more classes than if you went to a 3A or lower school out in east or west Texas. There is a law someone that states that all schools should get equal treatment, and children should get equal opportunities to learn. Here is a brief list of classes I was not able to take at my school.
Auto repair
AutoCAD or any type of Drafting
Electronics(other than basic home electricity)
Soccer
Softball (as a guy)
Volleyball(as a guy)
Lacrosse
Rugby
The list goes on...
I can tell you almost certainly, that while the worst school in Dallas may be very unsafe for children, it still had more class selection than the best 3A or lower school in East Texas. Where is all the money going? How is this not creating an endless downward spiral for kids who want to achieve in small towns?

No comments:

Post a Comment